Tiger & Grey

Tiger & Grey

EMRO banner

The Egyptian Mau Rescue Organization - www.emaurescue.org

donderdag 6 oktober 2011

Tiger got acupuncture today!

As you know, Tiger has arrived here with me with severe nerval injury on her paw. No one knows what has happened to her during her flight, but when she arrived, she just dragged her leg behind.
During the next 4 weeks, I have had several vet consults, but no vet really loved the challenge to really find out what is wrong with her paw. She is not in pain, there is no damage, no swellings, no fractures, no discomfort nothing. Only that she can't use her paw correct.


She made huge progress compared to the day of arrival due to homeopathic medication and lots of TLC, and, after 4 weeks, she is using her leg. Only her foot remains paralysed.

I now made an appointment for acupuncture, because it is clear her problem has to do with nerval damage. Acupuncture would be the first thing to think of to help her. So I did, and found amazingly a vet that is interested in acupuncture and works with cats as well. Because most only work with dogs and horses or feel cats are too difficult. I was too happy it was quite close by, and this vet felt really good in the way she responds to me and Tiger. Giving me this little bit of hope to possibly be able to help her.

Today was the appointment, and there I was with a cat walking through a shoppingmall. Because the vet is situated there. Tiger looked her eyes out. She was quite relaxed. And when it was our turn to be supervised, she was still the lovable little kitty as she always is. She is a perfect vet cat. She seems to know it is helping her, because she is going in her crate so easily, and handled without any fuzz.

The vet was very clear to me that her progress possibly comes to an end here, as she now really has no feeling at all in her paw. Last visit there was still a very little bit of reaction. Tiger failed now on all reflex tests below the knee (that one works perfect). And that makes the prognosis very very weak.
But... the vet told me, there is not at all need to take the leg of, since she is using the leg. And she like me still believes in the small chance she has. She will treat her 3 times, and after the third time it is final diagnosis. This is because nerval damage can take up to 3 months to heal, it usually lasts 6 weeks before feeling comes back. So it is not too late yet. And seeing Tigers progress we can keep fingers crossed.

Tiger got 12 needles in, most of course in the affected leg, one in her hip, her front paw and spine. She was quite calm for the 10 minutes it should last. Cats are usually quite impatient, but she was doing quite well. Lost a few needles, but the most important ones stayed in. And I amazed myself that she was not at all stressed. She wanted to get off, but not very scratchy or devoted to have it happen.

I am curious to the result, but since we got home, Tiger is very calm and quiet. Something is working within her body, and I hope it is good. I give it a rest for now. But happiness can say that she has been walking a lot of steps without a folded toe.

Even if I know her chances are so small (or well she will be perfectly fine of course, but her paw) I keep on hoping for this miracle to happen to her. Because from the first moment on, I have this feeling she will be allright.

I got new medication for her as well, since the one I use now is almost finished, and it is more for acute trauma. Now I got a medication that is for nerve damage. I beg for a miracle...  The vet warned me most cats hate this medication and it is quite hard to give it, but Tiger takes it so far with the same ease as the one she had so far. She is a wonderfull kitty, and I am sure she knows what is best for her. She is very smart :-)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten